This here gardening wizard is the reason I love green! My Dad has always had a lush and cascading veggie garden ever since I could remember. His mum and dad did too, and so did theirs. And so the tradition continues with some of his own kids. I am forever grateful for Dad randomly popping over to graft in some of his raspberry plants, or to give me some of his last season garlic bulbs to plant, or to simply spend half an hour in my happy biome garden watering my thirsty plants. I love having my own humble produce patch, and am grateful for the many hands and minds that have helped to make it grow.
Dad has cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce growing crazy at the moment in his backyard greenhouse. I think he’ll have to get about some pickling very soon!
A Simple Recipe for Homemade Natural Fermented Pickles
Homemade Natural Fermented Pickles are simple to make, taste sensational, and are nourishing to our bodies.
- 24 (or so) small pickling cucumbers
- 6 cloves garlic, ends removed and smashed
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 tbsp pickling spice (cloves, coriander, allspice, pepper, mustard seeds)
- Fresh Dill
- 6 tbsp large granule sea salt (kosher salt)
- Properly clean 3 litre sized mason jars.
- Gently clean and remove flower ends from cucumbers.
- To each mason jar, stack the bottom with as many cucumbers as you can fit.
- Divide the pickling spice between the jars.
- To each jar, add 2 garlic cloves, and 2 bay leaves.
- Add a good amount of dill to each jar, then fill each jar with as many more cucumbers as you can fit. Do not allow the cucumbers to go up into the band area. Make sure there’s 1 inch headspace between the top of the jar and the lid.
- On the stovetop, heat 1 litre of filtered water with 6 tbls of salt until it dissolves. Once the salt dissolves into the water, remove from heat. Add 1 1/3 cups of the salt solution brine to each jar.
- Fill the remainder of the jars with enough filtered water to cover all the ingredients.
- Place a lid on each jar and give it a good shake to mix the water and salt brine solution. Make sure to check after shaking that all the ingredients are submerged.
- Place the jar in a cool dark place for 2 weeks making sure to burp the jar after 7 days.