When I make bliss balls, I like to try and stuff as many nutritional goodies inside the balls…and also make them look pretty! Nuts and seeds provide lots of free-radical-fighting antioxidants, as well as a nice dose of omega-3 fatty acids. They are also high in certain minerals, such as selenium and magnesium, and also vitamins such as A, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. Superfood powders, such as turmeric (fantastic anti-inflammaorty) and maca powder (natural hormone regulator), can also be added to increase the nutritional goodness. For these bliss balls, I used beetroot powder and spirulina powder (both ground with a little bit of dried coconut), to roll the balls in. Sweet and delicious!
Next Friday (28 July, 7pm), Robin Tait from Inner Wellness Community, is coming along to our Happy Biome Studio to teach us how to use superfoods in raw treat cooking, as well as take us through some meditation and creative seasonal flower arranging. Robin is an advocate for healthy soil for good health and food, and we’re very excited to have her come along to share her passion for healthy living and being. For more info on Robin’s ‘Friday Unwind’ event, go here 🙂
In the meantime, here’s a simple and yummy recipe for my superfood bliss balls!
Superfood Bliss Balls
- 175g medjool dates (about 10-12)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped nuts (macadamias, cashews, almonds, brazil nuts)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 3 drops Young Living peppermint essential oil
- ⅓ cup goji berries
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- Finely shredded coconut, spirulina and beetroot powder (for rolling them in)
- Combine dates, nuts, chia seeds, maca powder, raw honey, cocao powder and peppermint oil in a food processor and whiz up until you get a fairly smooth consistency.
- Stir in the goji berries and cacao nibs.
- Mould into little balls and roll individual balls in either the shredded coconut, spirulina or beetroot powder.
- Place balls on a clean plate and pop in the fridge for 30min to set.
- Enjoy with a cup of freshly brewed herbal tea 🙂