Do you love French Toast? Here’s a healthy-version, that will keep your metabolism humming!
I make my French Toast with sprouted gluten-free bread from Pure Life. Sprouting the grains makes the bread so much easier to digest, plus it is ALIVE with gut-loving microbes (well, maybe not in this recipe, because the fry pan heats them all up, lol! If you do want to get the most out of the microbes of sprouted bread, I’d advise eating it raw…but you know, ‘toasted bread’ is always nice from time to time too…).
Healthy French Toast
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp group cinnamon
- 1 slice sprouted-grain bread
- 75g frozen berries
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp stevia or xylitol
- Coconut flakes, to serve (optional)
- Coconut or Greek yogurt, to serve (optional)
- Whisk together the egg white, vanilla, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Soak the bread well in the mixture, coating both sides.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and place the bread onto the hot surface, turning occasionally to toast both sides.
- While it cooks, heat the berries in a pan over low heat. When they are halfway softened, add the lemon juice and stevia or xylitol and cook until warm.
- Immediately pour berries over the French Toast and serve with coconut flakes and/or yogurt, if desired.