Cherry season is the best season! My Dad drove by the other day with TWENTY KILOS of cherries that he picked up from Perfecta Produce in Ulverstone. Guess how much they were???……$6 a kilo!!! These were for seconds, but still perfectly delicious and sweet and juicy cherries. Dad gifted me a few kilos, so I set to work to make something amazing…and this was what I made (can I just say, Oh My Yumminess!):
Cherry Chocolate Cake
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free flour
- 1 cup cocao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rapadura sugar
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 500g cherries (roughly enough cherries to cover the bottom of your cake pan)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Pit the cherries.
- Line the bottom of your cake pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and almond meal in a bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk until it is smooth.
- Add the vinegar and stir quickly. You will see pale swirls in the batter as the vinegar reacts with the baking soda. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Mix in your cherries with minimal stirring. You may need to poke the cherries down into the batter with your finger.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.