This. Is. Get. In. My. Belly. Delicious! Made with buckwheat and ginger essential oil, this slice is gluten-free, refined-sugar free, and can easily be altered to make it dairy-free. Want to bite your tastebuds into its crunchy-goodness? Pop into the studio today between 10-1pm to grab a piece – or you can make it at home. It takes a whole 5 minutes to make. So easy!
New to buckwheat? This little seed is from a plant related to greens like rhubarb and sorrel. It has a strong nutty flavour, and is gluten-free. It is rich in many trace minerals, including manganese, magnesium and copper. It is also a good source of the B vitamins: B6, pantothenic acid, niacin, folate, thiamin and choline. It also contains resistant fibre, which has been shown to lower blood sugar after meals, help weight loss, reduce food cravings and improve diabetes.
The other hero in this slice is ginger essential oil. We recommend using a high-quality food-grade essential oil, such as Young Living ginger essential oil. Not only does ginger oil give this slice an aromatic tasty hit, but it also has been shown to have digestive benefits. It’s actually an oil I grab when we have tummy issues in our family, and has helped with bloating, nausea, abdominal pain and even constipation and diarrhoea. Pretty powerful stuff, these little drops of oils!
Buckwheat & Ginger Essential Oil
- 50grams melted grass-fed butter (can use coconut oil for dairy-free)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ½ cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 15 drops ginger essential oil
- 50grams of chocolate to melt and spread over the top – opt for a 90% cacao chocolate with low sugar-content, or you can make your own. Check out our chocolate recipes here.
- Melt butter (or coconut oil) and blend with dates in your food processor until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and process until combined. Press into a slice tine or bread loaf lined with baking paper and pop in the fridge until set.
- Pour melted chocolate over the top. You can simply melt 50grams of chocolate of your choice and drop some buckwheat into the top. To do this, pop choccie in a bowl over a small pot of simmering water. Pour over the base and freeze or refridgerate until set.
(Adapted from Whole Daily).