Do you suffer from chronic health issues?
Do you have trouble with your weight?
Are you wanting to find answers and solutions to your problems?
Are you ready to invest yourself, to return back to optimal health?
Trained by the world’s best in Functional Medicine
We will help you uncover the root cause of your health issues!
“Hi Filipa, Great news, I’m feeling better…incredibly so! Honestly I’m shocked that my system has started the process of healing, and the effect has been literally instantaneous. I feel good, clear and sure of myself again! Thank you!” – S.B. Functional Medicine Client.
“I cannot speak highly enough of Filipa and the Happy Biome. I first came to see Filipa in November last year – fatigued, aching, overweight with no ability to lose weight, overtraining and undereating…. also driving my poor husband crazy with horrendous mood swings.
Cut to today (three months later), I’m on a journey back to wellness and I know it’s a long road but already I’m feeling about 1000% better – no longer fatigued, no longer aching, sleeping well, loving a whole new world of healthy eating and making sure I do use the right recovery protocols for my training. And my mood swings are a thing of the past….
The process with Filipa is comprehensive and her knowledge is second to none.” –S.B. Functional Medicine Client.
“My injury has dramatically improved. I’m not taking the Celebrex anymore either & I don’t have the chronic pain…It’s improvement is borderline miraculous & my prognosis has improved beyond belief” – L.N. Functional Medicine Client.
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine is about detecting the root cause of health issues, using targeted lab testing to assess important body systems. We use the Kalish Method protocol, which involves assessing and rebalancing the neuroendocrine system (your brain and your stress and sex hormones), the digestive system, and your detoxification system. Every health issue can be traced back to one or more of these body systems.
We design an individualised treatment plan based on your lab results, including a nutrition plan, a scientifically-based supplement program, stress reduction and exercise. Adherence to this plan can lead to a dramatic improvement in health – not only physically, but also emotionally.
What health issues do we treat?
Functional Medicine is not about diagnosing disease, but rather diagnosing and re-correcting imbalances and inflammation in the body. Because of this, anyone, no matter your health problem, will benefit from our Functional Medicine services. The Kalish Functional Medicine Method, however, is very good at treating the following health issues:
- Fatigue, low-energy
- Depression & anxiety
- Digestive problems – i.e. IBS, reflux, constipation, bloating etc.
- Parasite, bacterial & fungal infections
- Thyroid imbalance
- Weight issues
- Female hormonal imbalance
- Allergies, eczema, asthma
- Sinusitis, allergic rhinitis
- Skin conditions
- Optimal athlete health
What type of lab-testing do we do?
Our lab-testing is done in the form of saliva, stool & urine. Most tests can be done in the privacy of your own home and express-posted to our affiliated lab company. Price of tests start at $120 (testing is not included in consultation fees).
- Adrenocortex Stress Profile – saliva test for stress hormones cortisol & DHEA.
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis / Microbiome Testing – stool test for bacterial, fungal, parasite, worms infections, levels of healthy microbiota, pH level, malabsorption, best types of treatment for pathogenic infections, leaky gut, digestive enzymes, liver function, inflammation of the bowel, secretory IgA.
- Organix Acids Profile – urine test for liver detoxification pathways, vitamin & mineral status, amino acid insufficiencies, oxidative damage, functional B-complex vitamin need, neurotransmitter metabolites, mitochondrial energy production, methylation sufficiency, lipoic aside & CoQ10 status, markers for bacterial & yeast overgrowth.
- SIBO Testing – breath test to analyse small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
- Basic Female Hormone Profile – saliva test for estrone (E1), estradiol (E2), Estriol (E3), progesterone, testosterone.
- Female Hormone 28 Day Profile – saliva test for (E2) estradiol, (P4) progesterone, and testosterone over a 28 day period of a female’s regular menstrual cycle.
- Allergy & intolerance testing – food, inhalants, environmental pollutants.
- Nutritional Genetic Testing – buccal swab test to analyse genetic markers associated with ideal dietary and nutritional needs, optimal exercise regiments, potential response to medications, and risk for developing common health conditions.
What is involved in a consultation?
Before the consultation, we will email you some questionnaires/forms to fill in, to bring along to your consultation.
During a consultation, we will look in depth at your presenting symptoms, conduct an overall Health Appraisal, a Bio-Impedence Analysis to get a base-line of your body composition and health markers (if weight loss/gain is one of your concerns), and analyse your current diet. We will discuss options for lab tests, and make recommendations that are appropriate for your specific health issues. We will then explain how to conduct the test, which will be done in the privacy of your own home.
Once your lab work has been completed, our practitioner will contact you for a follow-up consultation, to discuss the meaning of your test results and to create an individualised health program. Subsequent consultations are scheduled to monitor your progress, to modify your program, and to offer nutritional and lifestyle coaching to help you stay on track.
I don’t live near you, can I still have a consult?
Absolutely! We offer consultations in-person at our Happy Biome Clinic, or via web-call Australia-wide. Lab tests can be posted directly to you, and done in the privacy of your home.
How long is a treatment plan?
This really depends on the individual, their lab work, and their rate of compliance and progress. A general base-line is a minimum of 6-months. If you have a particularly chronic illness, or if you are not 100% compliant, the rate of recovery may take 1 – 2 years. Sorry, we don’t offer a quick-fix pill! Be prepared to stick to your plan for the long-haul. Because of this, we only work with people who are absolutely dedicated to changing their life in all aspects.
Consultation Fees (does not included testing or supplement costs)
New Initial Consultation:
Rebates available for some private health funds for in-person consultations.
Are you ready to transform your health with Functional Medicine? Contact us here to book in for a consult, or call our Functional Medicine Practitioner, Filipa Bellette, on 0408 707 249.
Our Functional Medicine Practitioner
Dr. Filipa Bellette (PhD EngLit, BA Hon EngPsych, AdvDip NutMed) is a fully qualified Nutritional Medicine practitioner and an accredited member of the Australian Traditional Medicine Society. She is also a Doctor of Philosophy, and has a keen interest in the power of words (and creativity) to promote positive change. She is currently being mentored by Dr Daniel Kalish, one of the world’s best Functional Medicine doctors.